Monday, November 30, 2009

Shopping in Rome...EMPRESA

La gente (people) always ask me why I have this overwhelming desire to live in Rome again when moda (fashion) is in Milan. I tell them, "I didn't choose Rome, Rome chose me." I know Milan is where most fashion is headquartered and if I find a job there, believe me, I am on the next plane. But when I pass the Colosseo, Vittoriano, Piazza del Popolo or even cross the Tiber river, something in my heart just fills with joy and astonishment. It's like when I lived in Florence and I would see the Ponte Vecchio or David in Piazza della Signoria I would always think, OMG, I live here!!.And usually whatever problem or worry I had would vanish, even if only for a moment.


 
And there is fashion in Rome. Maybe most designers have headquarters in Milan, but there are a few Romani who are still based in La Citta Eterna (the Eternal City). One of my favorite negozi (stores) is EMPRESA. There are actually five of them, three for men and two for women. My Empresa is located on Via dei Giubbonari 25/26 between Largo di Torre Argentina and Campo dei Fiori. That also happens to be the store where Gabriele, one of the five propretari (owners) spends most of his time. For me Empresa is one of those few stores where I feel as if design had me in mind when they there were designing, making me their Muse. I can find something for almost every and any occasion from an aperitivo doppo lavoro (cocktails after work) to an evening at Teatro Argentina. Everytime I went into the store it was busy. On one particular day a customer was there for three hours trying on every article the salesman brought him. This was one of Empresa's regular customers who comes in from another paese (country) to restock his wardrobe. Then there was the Spanish husband and wife duo with two kids in tow shuttling back and forth between the men's and women's store across la strada (street).

 I guess Empresa could almost be called a "lifestyle" store since they carry everything a man could want, except underwear. Outerwear, wovens, knits, accessories, bottoms and even un tasco (helmut) for your motorino (Vespa). Every year, Empresa comes up with something special to add to it's assortment. This season it happened to be watches which complemented the looks of the season. On some occasions it has been a houseware item which is proudly displayed along side the clothing. This is the bellezza (beauty) of having a small yet successful business, you can try different things and see what flies. If nothing else, you'll always keep your customers intrigued.



There are two designers, both with very different styles but together they create one harmonious collection. Everything is fatto in Italia (made in Italy) because design is very detailed oriented and hands on. They don't just design something and hand off to production, but instead they follow through from initial concept until it is on the floor. Just a few weeks ago a coat came in and was already nella vetrina (in the window) when design noticed that the sleeve was slightly bigger than spec. Every piece was returned to the factory and corrected. Like that might happen at Macy's!! Even when design collaborates with another design firm whether it be for fabric or styling, the item is changed so that it esclusivo (exclusive) to Empresa.

Another reason for Empresa's popularity and following is it's customer service. Recently un cappotto (coat) purchased five years ago was returned because the owner ripped the sleeve in an incidente (accident) on his motorino. Empresa took the jacket back, matched the leather and had the sleeve repaired. Non c'era un problema!! For now, you will have go to the Eternal City to find Empresa but l'anno prossimo (next year) you will also be able to find one should you make your way north to Venezia (Venice). And I have it on good authority that should the right partner be found, maybe we can expect to find one in New York CIty's Soho or Meatpacking District...magari!!! Here are just a few of my favorite things...

Mi piace molto questa sciarpa (I really like this scarf) which wraps, buttons close and has two pockets on the end as well as these this pullover neck muffler all modeled by Gabriele.







Maglie (sweaters) cover the full spectrum from textured turtle...to 1/2 button pullover...to cardigan with shawl collar.


Lightweight, almost transparent knits in vee- and turtleneck styles with leather elbow patch details...




An assortment of cappotti e giacce (coats and jackets)...in wool plaid...microfiber with plaid lining filled with cashmere. For those who must follow the latest trend, the jacket on the right is reversible..from very shiney (i.e.Moncler) to treated cotton on the other. It comes in chocolate, bright blue and charcoal.



Leather jackets with functional details like buttonholes on cuffs...


Pants come in an array of styles and fabrications from pinwale cord, to velvet, to check and plaid patterns. Empressa takes traditional fabrics and patterns like glenplaid and uses a fabric belt and adds a crinkle front to make a fresh new look from something traditional.






Overall tone of the store for this season is brown and green but here we have grey with a shot of bright yellow... in a windbreaker and accessories like a thermos and pencil sharpener in leather.


 
 
Blazers for casual evenings or a night at La Teatro Argentina...
 



Le scarpe (shoes) in assorted colors and styles with a vintage, used feel...








Yet I am drawn to these two...dressy with faux fur lining for cold, windy NY nights and these pindot, blk/wht vinyl with curyl acrylic lining...just for fun!!




Camicie (shirts) and accessories for finishing touches...

Safe but stylish in this chocolate casco (helmut) with leather detail....









 
 
 
 
 
And last but not least soft leather bags for every day use or a weekend in Capri, Genova or Palermo...
 


Adesso..ciao e buon lavoro...


EMPRESA  Via dei Giubbonari, 25/26 (Campo de' Fiori) - Tel. 06.68.32.428  www.empresa.it

3 comments:

Mt. MS, the Final Assault said...

Hi Oliver,

NHey, I really enjoyed Empresa; in fact, I was just there. It was my last day and my credit cards stopped working so I could only buy what I had cash for. I would really love to have some shoes sent. Any idea how?? Thank for any help.

Mt. MS, the Final Assault said...

Hi Oliver,
Hey, I really enjoyed Empresa; in fact, I was just there. It was my last day and my credit cards stopped working so I could only buy what I had cash for. I would really love to have some shoes sent. Any idea how?? Thank for any help.

the reckoner said...

I bought a leather jacket at Empresa back in 2009. Impeccable style and quality. I lost the leather strap that goes around the collar and I have a slight tear on the arm and I was wondering how I can get a hold of them to help repair. I live in the US but I think I remember they said that they have a location in NYC. Is this true? Any suggestions for how to get this repaired stateside?